The role of the Finance Council is primarily to provide financial oversight of the income and expenses for the parish. It is a requirement by the Diocese of Orlando to have a finance committee.
Six to nine appointed members assist the pastor and the Office Manager in overseeing the parish finances. They have bi- monthly meetings to provide the following assistance to the parish:
- Preparation of the parish annual budget by forecasting expenditures and the expected revenue for the year.
- Approve the budget.
- Monitor adherence to the budget.
- Create, approve, and update (as necessary) policies that help ensure the assets of the parish.
- Ensure approved financial policies and procedures are being followed.
- Watches over financial reporting, the creation and monitoring of internal controls and accountability policies to comply with Diocesan policies.
- They manage the collection and accounting each weekend of the offertories.
- Approval of major expense for the parish